|Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. More Info...|
|United Nations Core Values : Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity|
|Summary of overall duties|
The Protocol Assistant will receive and verify applications for Immigration, Duty Free and Tax Exemption provisions of the Host Country Agreement to UN Staff Members working with Somali based Agencies posted to the Nairobi Duty Station. She/he will be educating and providing guidance to staff on exercising their entitlements, maintaining an electronic data base and an up to date filing system of relevant information relating to the privileged staff members and their entitlements.
The Protocol Assistant will be matrix-managed between the UNON (United Nations Office in Nairobi) Protocol Unit and UNDP Somalia Operations section, and will also backstop the Protocol Clerk on functions regarding visas for Somali staff and invitees.
1. Prepare briefing notes for new staff members on immigration formalities, duty free and tax exemption privileges and ensure that the information is continuously updated and guide the staff member in completing relevant host country forms governing various privileges and exemptions prior to sending them to HCRU (Host Country Relations Unit) within UNON for processing.
2. Arrange for Notification of Arrival for new staff members and dependants and ensure the issuance of Diplomatic Identity Cards (and their renewals upon expiry) and Personal Identification Numbers in liaison with HCRU UNON. Monitor and follow up with HCRU UNON to ensure apt issuance. Prepare and submit to HCRU UNON Notification of Departure for those leaving the country.
3. Ensure timely application and processing for the issuance and renewals of re-entry passes for staff members and their dependants, the issuance and renewal of entry permits for non-Kenyan locally recruited staff members, extension of visitor’s passes for interns and consultants and monitor and follow up with HCRU UNON.
4. Ensure timely processing of
(a) The issuance/renewal of Kenyan driving licenses for private vehicles of privileged staff members and their dependants
(b) Registration of new vehicles purchased officially by agencies as well as privately by privileged staff members and their dependants
(c) Transfer and disposal of the above mentioned vehicles
(d) Issuance and retrieval of number plates for the above mentioned vehicles
(e) Monitor and follow up the above services with HCRU UNON.
5. Maintain and ensure accuracy of the data stored in the electronic database and update the filing system, containing relevant information relating to staff members/dependants, their entitlements and vehicles and ensure quick retrieval of required information. Ensure the accuracy of the data stored in the electronic database; track the expiry dates of documents and visas in conjunction with HCRU UNON so as to remind the relevant staff member to initiate action for renewal of the same in good time.
6. Exercise professionalism, tolerance, mental alertness and diplomacy daily while dealing with urgent and sensitive issues;
7. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
|· Corporate Competencies:|
· Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Functional Competencies
· Knowledge Management and Learning
o Shares knowledge and experience
o Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
· Development and Operational Effectiveness
o Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to contract, asset and procurement management, including screening, collecting and preparation of documentation, data processing, preliminary bids evaluation, filing, provision of information
o Good IT skills
· Leadership and Self-Management
o Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
o Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
o Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
|· Minimum: Secondary Education with specialized training in Protocol related field. |
· University Degree in Business would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
|· Minimum: 3 to 5 years of relevant administrative experience |
· Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of automated procurement systems;
· Experience in handling of web based management systems.
· UN work experience will be an added advantage
|Other Desirable Skills:|
|The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8).
The United Nations Secretariat is a Non-Smoking Environment. English and French are the two official working languages of the United Nations.
ONLY applications to specific VAs will be considered, general applications should not be sent.
|How to apply:|
Please send your curriculum vitae, marked “Protocol Assistant ” by 5th April 2007 to: The Deputy Resident Representative (Operations), United Nations Development Programme - Somalia, P.O. Box 28832, Nairobi, Kenya, fax: 254-20- 4183641, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. UNDP will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
This vacancy announcement is also available on http://www.undp.org/ or http://jobs.undp.org/
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED